Saturday, June 1, 2013

Porosity Testing, and How it can Revolutionize Your Hair!



Porosity can be defined simply as you hair's ability to absorb, and maintain moisture.  If you do not know the porosity of you hair, you are at a major disadvantage, as far as finding products, and developing a regimen that works for you. There are 3 levels of porosity:


Low Porosity:  It is difficult for the hair to absorb moisture.  However, once the moisture is absorbed, it is difficult for it to vacate the hair - which is a good thing.  In other words, the strand holds moisture, and stays hydrated longer.  What many low porosity naturals find is that product tends to sit on top of the hair, causing build up.  To avoid this, stick with water based moisturizer, and avoid excessive moisturizing.

Normal Porosity:  Hair absorbs and retains moisture at a normal rate.  This, of course, is the ideal.  In order to maintain normal porosity, it is important avoid excessive heat, and chemical treatments, as these things can change a hair's porosity.

High Porosity:  Hair absorbs moisture very easily, which is a good thing.  However, it is unable to retain said moisture, which is no bueno.  High porosity is usually the result of severe damage - heat, chemical, and otherwise.  Layering in products, and sealing with a heavy butter (ie shea) is usually a good direction to go if you have highly porous hair.  It may be necessary to moisturize more often with high porosity, as well.

The porosity test is simple.  Gather a few strands of freshly washed, un-moisturized hair, and place them in a glass of water.  If your hair quickly sinks to the bottom, you have high porosity.  If it floats at the top, you have low porosity.  If it hangs suspended in the middle, you have normal porosity.

What's your hair's porosity? -YB

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I did know about this or testing my hair. I transitioned in Jan 2013. I didn't do a big chop and I didn't like any of my short healthy hair.

    I do believe I am a 5D! LOL!!! Ok, a 4c and my hair has low porosity. Even when I put a couple of hair strands into the water, it floated. It never went down or in the middle of the water. Even when I pushed it down a bit, it didn't go down.

    I have to drink more water. I have to eat better. I have to use more water base products! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete