Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Andre Walker is a natural hair care product hawker now? SMH.




Lo and behold....Oprah's kink-hating hairstylist has decided to make himself a few bucks by jumping on the natural hair care bandwagon....Why all the vitriol, you ask?  Well, let me refresh your memory. Back in 2011, Mr. Walker was quoted as saying (and I swear I'm not making this up):

"I always recommend embracing your natural texture. Kinky hair can have limited styling options; that’s the only hair type that I suggest altering with professional relaxing." 

Okay, kinkies - put down your samurai swords, and nunchucks.  He was dealt with....The backlash was swift and brutal.  So much so, he tried to back-pedal with the following cringe-worthy explanation:

"It is a fact that kinky hair (my Type 4 definition) is extremely fragile and breaks easily. Even when you are very careful, something as simple as combing can break this texture. It is very difficult to achieve a longer length when the hair breaks, even with simple combing. That being said, there is the style option of wearing braids, dreads, or twists, which allows the hair to grow longer because it is combed less often. Another style choice is to simply wear a shorter cut, which is very attractive on some women but just not right for others.

So when I say to embrace your natural texture, but consider relaxing kinky hair, am I contradicting myself? I don’t think so! You see, even relaxed hair can still be worn naturally. If you want a natural look, but find that your kinky hair is difficult to manage, breaks too easily, lacks shine and luster, and limits your preferred styling options, I say feel free to consider a mild chemical relaxer, sometimes called a texturizer, that eases your hair to a more manageable texture and allows you to Make Peace With Your Hair.”


 This new natural hair care line is set to launch in July, boasting sulfate-free shampoo, moisturizing conditioners, "Beautiful Kinks" (gag) styling crèmes, and a host of other products.  Now I suppose he sees an opportunity to make some cash off the girls he trashed.  I won't be spending my dollars on Mr. Walker's line. Will you? -YB

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Friends! I am telling about my Hair Removal Klinik Esthetika Remove my hair very well in my budget and there have no pain when these treatments are done. They use the laser technology to remove the hair. This technology named Laser hair Removal for remove the hair.

    ReplyDelete