Friday, April 12, 2013

Biotin - Hair Growth Silver Bullet?



After I lost a grip of hair due to post-partum shedding, I needed to try something to help stimulate hair growth.... particularly around my edges, because that is where the majority of my hair loss occurred.

I had read a lot about biotin on hair care forums/websites, and decided to give the supplement a shot.  Unbeknownst to me, I had already been taking about 1000 micrograms of biotin in my hair, skin and nails daily vitamin.  I upgraded to a 5000mcg dosage of pure biotin from Nature's Bounty (around $11.00 at the drug store for 60 pills), and waited to see what happened.  Now, I can't be 100% sure that what occurred next was due to the biotin, but it is the only thing I was doing differently.

After a several weeks of taking the biotin, I started to notice hundreds of these tiny little hairs around my head.  These hairs all had tapered ends which can mean one of two things - severely damaged or stripped ends, or brand new baby hairs.  Since the hairs were so widely spread out on my head, and not near any areas susceptible to breakage, I had to assume they were baby hairs.  In addition to all the new hairs, my edges have filled in, and are growing rather quickly.  I've had at least 2 inches of new growth around the edges since late January. 

There is a downside....A few years ago, the amount of active hairs on my legs reduced DRAMATICALLY for some unknown reason.  There were fewer hairs growing, and they were thin, and not as robust as in years prior.  I reckon the biotin doesn't discriminate, because they appear to have come back with a vengeance. 

I'm no scientist, but I do know my body.  It appears as if biotin is doing what it is supposed to  do, for me.   Everyone is different, and will react to things differently, so it may or may not work for you.  I will continue to use is on my natural hair mission to achieve strength and length.

1 comment: