Monday, May 13, 2013

Have You Ever Heard of MSM?



I hadn't either until quite recently.

After I posted the article about L'Oreal's  new hair growth product, I got to thinking.  I said to myself: 'Self, you know what would be awesome?  Being able to extend the anagen (growth) phase in your hair growth cycle.'  I thought I had come up with the most brilliant idea in the world.  If you can extend the growth phase, you can buck your genes, and have longer hair than you are genetically predestined to.  You follow?

 I decided to Google my brilliant idea, thinking it was somehow original....What I discovered was a supplement called MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), which it alleged to extend the anagen phase of hair growth.  MSM is 'a naturally occurring form of sulfur found in many foods', that is critical in providing the sulfur necessary to produce collagen and keratin - the proteins required for healthy hair growth.

There has been limited research done on the efficacy of the sulfur-based supplement, with  one unpublished study claiming increased hair growth in subjects, and a published study claiming hair growth in rodents.  The majority of the information available is anecdotal....you can check out many stories or less shedding, thicker hair, etc on any natural hair care forum.  Widespread scientific studies have yet to be done.

I have not tried MSM, and I probably won't, as I've been seeing tremendous growth with my current hair regimen, and vitamin/biotin regimen....If it ain't broke....

I'd be interested to know if any of you guys decide to try it.  Sounds interesting!  - YB

Read more about it on WebMD:
and form our friends at LongHairCorner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment