Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Can all kinkies grow long hair?




Many kinkies can indeed grow long hair, but sadly, there are some that cannot. The key to determining potential length of some one's hair, is understanding hair growth cycles.  Every person has a genetically predetermined length to which their hair can grow.  There are 2 factors at play, to make this determination:  Average rate of growth and average length of time it takes the hair to shed.

On average, most people's hair grows between 1/4-1/2 inch a month.  That is 3-6 inches a year. ( I am not sure which end of the spectrum I fall, but I am inclined to believe my hair grows relatively quickly.  I will know for sure when I do my 1 year length check in 2014.)

The growth cycle of hair consists of 3 stages.  The growth phase, the resting phase, and the shedding phase. On average, most people's growth cycle is between 3-6 years, meaning, that is the amount of time it takes from when a new hair emerges, until the time of it's natural shedding.

Now, if you have a person whose hair grows below average at 2 inches a year, and whose hair  growth cycle is 3 years, the longest potential length that individual can achieve genetically, is 6 inches.  Once you take into account breakage or trimming, the length is even shorter.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you have a person whose hair grows above average at 7 inches a year, and their hair growth cycle is 6 years, the longest potential length that individual can achieve genetically is 42 inches. It will of course be shorter taking into account breakage or trimming.

I think it is difficult to gauge one's exact hair growth cycle, however tracking annual hair growth is a lot easier.  I have never attempted to grow my hair out, so I have no idea if I have potential for long kinks, of if I'm a short hair kink.  Either way, I think my hair is rad and I'm going to continue to werk it!! - YB






No comments:

Post a Comment