Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fairy Knot Slayer!

So, I don't even need to tell you guys about the dreaded single strand knot...aka SSK aka Fairy Knots aka pain in my kinky arse..  They are truly the bane of my existence!  I follow all the rules.  I wash in sections, I detangle regularly, I style my hair protectively, I sleep w/ a satin cap and pillow case for good measure, I keep my hands out of my hair, I moisturize like a champ...  And all for naught!  Those damn fairies keep climbing in my hair, and tying all those pesky knots. 

It is extremely frustrating to do everything right, and still end up cutting my hair off because the knots won't cease and desist.  What can be done?  The sad truth is it's just a consequence of having kinky textured hair.  No matter how hard you try, you will never be totally rid of the SSKs.  However, our friends over at Natural Hair Rules have some tips on SSK reduction.
http://www.naturalhairrules.com/10-tips-for-preventing-one-strand-knots/

It order to reduce the amount of cutting I have to do, I resort to a method commonly known as S&D or search and destroy.  The idea is to go through your hair section by section, and strand by strand, seek out the offending knots, and snip them of.   Yes, it takes for bloody ever, but if you're interested in retaining length, it's the only way to go.

Happy snipping, Kinkies!

-YB

No comments:

Post a Comment