Saturday, March 30, 2013

Yellow Fever Strikes India!

I had to give myself 24 hours before I posted on the explosive controversy surrounding natural hair icon India Arie - YellowFever-Gate.  For starters, I am not going to post the picture here, because you all have seen it, and it is ridiculous.  I will not sully this blog with such ridiculousness.
Secondly, I can't say that I'm mad....just extremely disappointed.  This woman made her millions extolling the virtues of her brown skin, and kinky hair.....and now this.  I guess the cocoa butter she was slathering on was extra strength.  Okay - that was cheap.  I'm sorry....  I really don't believe she would actually bleach her skin.  However, when you have an artist of her stature, every official image released is approved by her.  Period.  Unless she is color blind, there is no way she could have looked at that photo and thought it was anywhere near her real skin tone.  That being said, what in the world could she have been thinking putting that mess out?  This is a direct assault on her own brand, and  a slap in the face to all of her loyal fans.  I mean, who does that?  She released a really limp explanation for the photo, citing 'magnificent' lighting.  Check out HuffPo for her statement.   SMH.  -YB

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/india-arie-accused-of-lightening-skin-cocoa-butter-cover_n_2980852.html

No comments:

Post a Comment